Categories
Blog

ArtSciLab Sonic Portraits #1

Evan:

The breaking point happened late in the evening at a fried chicken joint. Fried Nashville hot chicken that was not spicy. I leaped out of the patio seat and proclaimed I do not stay in this town any longer, I want to leave and see the world. My roommate glanced at me, unfazed. 2020 had taken its toll on every facet of our lives and I wished to travel to Nashville, Tennessee to try some authentic hot chicken. “Why stop at Nashville,” my roommate asked, “I go to Nashville every year, why stop there?” There, in the patio of a fried chicken chain, the playlist methodology was drafted.

Roger:

When Evan started this project last August 2023 it was before the start of our academic semester and there were not many people around. But every person he asked replied almost instantly: his question evolved from what is your favorite song to what music do you like to listen to at the moment. He started asking everyone who walked into the lab. Within 3 weeks there were over 60 songs in the play list and almost 400 people had listed to the channel.

About the Author:

Evan Acuna is temporary research assistance as well as Production Assistant and Lab Manager at ArtSciLab. He has recently graduated with an undergraduate in Art, Technology, and emerging communications. Evan will continue to pursue creative opportunities within the near future to build his portfolio and work to become a sustainable creative professional.

Roger F. Malina is a space scientist and astronomer, with a specialty in extreme and ultraviolet astronomy, space instrumentation and optics. He served as director of the Observatoire Astronomique de Marseille Provence and was NASA Principal Investigator for the Extreme Ultraviolet Satellite project at the University of California, Berkeley.