Categories
Archive-2018

Tape Mapping

by Kuo-Wei Lee

Before I dive deeper, this project is called Tape Mapping.
Therefore, it’s important to do the first step: Tapping!

I chose an Origami Crane as my first pattern. Origami (折り紙, from ori, meaning “folding” and kami, meaning “paper”,(kami changes to gami due to rendaku), is the art of paper folding, which is often associated with Japanese culture.

The design I chose for tape mapping
The design I chose for tape mapping

Once I finished my drawing in adobe illustrator(Ai), I put the file into Madmapper and set it to the position and angle that I wanted to represent. After that, I projected it onto a wall as a reference to start tapping.

Taping Timelapse

Origami Crane

Concept:

I am constantly using adobe illustrator and this project is base on “low poly art” style, which I love a lot. I tried to use an extremely simple way to compose my first art work: lines. There’s a tool called blend in the illustrator and I used this function to present my tape mapping project. Blending Vector Art uses simple vector lines to create artwork.

Crane Composition 01:Vector Crane with Minimalist Style

Process:

I used blend mode in Ai to try and draw patterns.

Blending Vector Patterns
Blending Vector Patterns

Then I exported them as a SVG file which can be imported into Madmapper to become a line set, and there’s the process:

Vector Crane Design Process

Vector Crane

Crane Composition 02: Vector Crane with The Starry Night

Concept:

This time, I tried something different: I would not only make the object (Crane) alive, but also the background more vivid. The final design reminded me of the artist, Vincent van Gogh, whose artworks are very famous on bold strokes. I can take advantage of Madmapper and illustrator to create a vivid starry night.

Vincent van Gogh, The Starry Night
Vincent van Gogh, The Starry Night

Process:

I used the starry night not just as a background, but also as a reference to create new blending strokes on the top layer to play with in Madmapper.

Blending Manipulations in Ai

The Starry Night

Cabinet Design

Cabinet Composition 01: Vector Cabinet with Minimalist Style

The second setup I picked Scott’s cabinet artwork to design my composition. Just the same way as previous Crane work, I used Ai to generate the potential blending patterns for this work.

Blending Vector Process

I really love this artwork, so I did several iterations on it, cannot choose which is the best one. Therefore I posted them all on the blog!

01

02

03

04
Cabinet Composition 02: Commercial Presentation – ripple

The world’s only enterprise blockchain solution for global payments.
The world’s only enterprise blockchain solution for global payments. https://ripple.com

Concept:

Ripple is a real-time gross settlement system, currency exchange and remittance network by Ripple. Blockchain is a digital decentralized ledger, a technology behind bitcoin or any encrypt currency. The p2p connection inspired me to create this artwork.

Process:

I used this molecular animation video from youtube to present that the point to point connection.

Animation from Youtube

Ripple Process

Ripple Preview