Categories
Archive-2018

Students Make Invaluable Connections During Sabre's Visit

Sabre- An Innovative Technology Company is a travel technology company based in Southlake, TX. It is the largest Global Distribution Systems provider for air bookings in North America. Sabre is a global technology company whose “innovative technology is used by more than a billion people around the world to plan, book and get to their destination at a time and price that’s right for them.”

The User Experience Club (co-sponsored by the ArtSciLab) at UT Dallas invited the Sabre Design Team on March 29th, 2018 to conduct a workshop and review student portfolios. The team consisted of eight people: Philip LikensDirector of Sabre Labs, Brandy SchadePrincipal Innovation Catalyst, Robert SkrobeUser Experience Manager, Martin WongUser Experience Design Team Lead, Nicole NashUse Experience Designer, Angela KouUser Experience Designer, Smita KhuranaUser Experience designer, and Pri HossainUser Experience Designer.

The workshop began with an introduction to the company and the Design Team. It was followed by portfolio reviews and portfolio challenge, where they reviewed student portfolios and provided them with suggestions to improve their portfolio. “I did not have a portfolio, so I took a backseat and took notes on everything they were saying. It was a learning experience for me, I understood how extensively I need to work on my portfolio. The constructive criticism that they gave to other students was so critical, especially now when we are close to graduation,” said Kourosh Shahbazi.
The workshop ended with a networking session where students got to know the designers even better. “I liked the part where I got to know the Design Team personally, they told me about their experience as a UX Designer. I have experience in web designing so the input that I received from them was invaluable for my portfolio and job search,” said Kourosh Shahbazi.
When a company visits a university to conduct a workshop it provides the students with an excellent opportunity to connect and network with industry professionals. It gives them a perspective on how their future might look like in a working environment, which is crucial for graduating students.